Saturday, November 4, 2017

It Was Like That Swamp Gas Explanation for UFOs

On Facebook yesterday someone posted something saying that orbs in photos were merely natural things like dust, an idea debunked in this post. I responded with a link to my post showing examples of 24 repeating patterns in mysterious striped orbs I have photographed.  Someone named Steve responded, saying he agreed the patterns I have photographed could not be explained by things like dust. He suggested that they may be caused by "microscopic wiring" effects.

There are several reasons why this explanation is absolutely unworkable, rather like a "the alligator came out of my toilet and ate my homework" explanation.

First, as far as I can see no one has ever reported unexplained lines appearing in photos because of "microscopic wiring" effects. I did a Google search trying to find any such report, and could not find anything.

Second, my photos of recurring patterns in mysterious striped orbs have come from two types of cameras, Sony and Nikon. I have also got many mysterious striped orbs when using an Olympus camera. It's hard to believe that different cameras from different manufacturers would have the same problem.

Third, I only get unexplained lines inside of mysterious orbs I photograph. I never get such lines appearing outside of an orb. So if you were to believe the lines were caused by "microscopic wiring" effects, you would have to believe that it was just a coincidence that this effect only occurs inside orbs being photographed. This would be about a 1 in 10,000 coincidence for each of my striped orb photos, and since there are 400+ such photos the overall coincidence would have a likelihood of about 1 in 101600.  That would be more unlikely than correctly guessing the full telephone numbers of 100 strangers.

Fourth, the repeating orb patterns I have photographed often show curved lines looking like arcs, and there are no curved arc-like wires used when cameras are manufactured.

Fifth, I only get unexplained lines or stripes in fewer than 1 in 100 of the photos I take, all photos showing orbs. If there were a "microscopic wiring" defect in a camera, it would show up in every photo. 

I can imagine someone evoking a "microscopic wiring" effect to explain away something:

Daughter: Mom, I took your photo, but sadly it shows lots of wrinkles in your face.
Mother: I do NOT have wrinkles! Those lines in my facial image must have been caused by ...microscopic wiring effects in the camera.

Of course, explanations like these are ridiculous. 

Postscript:  Imagine if someone were to attempt to blame errors in his tax returns on "malfunctions of the math chip in my computer." Nowadays this would be completely unbelievable. Math chips are a very mature and stable technology. They figured out how to make reliable math chips 35 years ago.  Similarly, modern digital cameras are a very mature and stable technology.  They figured out 25 years ago how to reliably manufacture image sensors that never show intermittent unwanted lines caused by "microscopic wiring effects."  The cameras I have used for my photos  were all made decades after this technology was mastered.

No comments:

Post a Comment