Monday, August 28, 2023

Spooky Synchronicity

 Today I was on a walk, when I saw landing on the sidewalk just exactly in front of my path the feather shown below. It landed an arm's length in front of me, not a bit to the left or the right. There was a tree above me, but I could see no birds in it. Thinking this a rare event, I walked on about 10 meters. But then I thought that I should pick up the feather, perhaps for the sake of identifying it. I returned to the spot the feather was. At the exact instant I reached down to pick up the feather, another falling object landed at the same spot, only about a thumb's length away from the feather: a green leaf.  Both are shown below.


Today is August 28th, and it is more than a more than a month before lots of leaves start falling here in New York City. There were almost no leaves on any of the streets. What are the odds against two different things landing at exactly the same tiny spot, in different minutes, during the only ten seconds I passed the spot?

I first brought the feather back to my home, but then thought I should go get the leaf also, to show how healthy it looked. Returning to the spot where the leaf was, I saw nothing else fall. But at the moment I picked up the leaf, there was a squirrel an arm's length away, on the same sidewalk where the feather and the leaf appeared. Oddly, the squirrel seemed to pause and look back at me as I picked up the leaf. 

Were I to try to speculate on a symbolic meaning of the synchronicity in the first photo, I might imaginatively speculate that the feather symbolizes some flight of the soul in my future, and that the green leaf symbolizes being "green-lighted" for such a flight. But that's just a wild guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment