Saturday, September 23, 2017

Another "TV Precognition" Experience?

In the post here I described an astonishing event in which there popped into my head for some reason an idea for something that would be funny on a TV show I was watching -- the concept of magician Michael Carbonaro putting a frozen fish into a microwave, and then later removing from the microwave a live moving fish. Within 60 seconds the TV show (which I had never watched before) had exactly such a sequence of events occurring.

Last night something similar happened. I turned my TV to the Turner Classic Movies station, which was showing a 1984 comedy movie I have never watched before: This Is Spinal Tap.  A few seconds after turning to this channel, for some reason there pops into my mind a memory of a quote from the movie, in which a dimwitted character incorrectly said something like "Boston isn't a college town."  The memory may have come from a review I read of the movie in 1984.  About 10 seconds after recalling this memory, I hear something like this on the TV:

Character 1: We had to cancel the Boston concert.
Character 2: Don't worry, Boston isn't much of a college town.

Events like this (suggesting precognition) don't fit in with our existing ideas about how time works. But there are speculative models of time in which precognition could be occurring. For a discussion of one such model, see my post "Does the Future Splash on the Present?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment