Thursday, October 25, 2018

A Most Improbable Case of Phantom Dialing

In my post "Four 'Phantom Phone Calls' in One Hour," I reported on a case in which my phone -- seemingly by itself -- dialed one of my daughters twice and my wife twice, all in the same hour. Last night there was an equally astonishing case of this kind of "phantom dialing."

Checking the "Dialed calls" log on my humble old-fashioned cell phone, I was astonished to see three different calls to the same number went out from my phone last night between 9:35 PM and 9:36 PM.  At this time I was in the subway, and the cell phone was in my pocket. All three calls went out to the following number:

54888881888888888888880007000**008888888888888888888988888848888888

My phone has an Auto-redial feature, but it has always been turned off.

What happens if I try typing a nonsense number like this using my phone?  I get a message on my phone saying the number cannot be reached. I then see a "Rejected" message on my phone:


The phone then automatically returns to the Default screen, shown below:



Now, we might be able to explain one such case of "phantom dialing" occurring at some particular time, under some hypothesis of random presses of the keys in my pocket (which could conceivably occur if something else in my pocket was rubbing against the keys). But how do we explain three calls to this incredibly long number during the same two minutes?

It would at first seem that such a thing could not possibly occur by chance, as there would only be a microscopic chance of three very long random numbers all being the same.  We might be able to explain it if my Auto-redial feature was on. But that feature has always been "off" on my phone.
And there is no key on my phone that will automatically dial the last number dialed.

I can redial the last number called on my phone by using a very specific trio of button presses:
(1) First I can press the bar above the OK button to bring up my Call History.
(2) Then I can press OK.
(3) Then I can press OK again.

But given 21 possible button presses I can make on my phone, the chance of such an exact sequence occurring twice in a row (due to random presses on my phone) seems microscopic, something like 1 in 21 to the sixth power, which is about 1 in 85,766,121.  This is merely the latest in a long and baffling series of spooky events you can read about in this set of posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment