Tuesday, October 16, 2018

A Spooky Event Involving an Afterlife Site

Today I noticed three spooky things happening. The first is my Samsung tablet displayed a site dealing with life after death as the only tab in a web browser, even though I have not intentionally visited that site in several days.

I had used my Samsung tablet earlier in the afternoon, and then switched to a laptop for about an hour. Upon shutting down the laptop and going back to the Samsung tablet, I saw (after passing through a password screen) that my Firefox web browser was showing as its only tab the site www.survivaltop40.com.  Having not visited this "life after death" site in several days, I was very surprised by this.

The relevant facts are as follows:

(1) I had not intentionally visited the site www.survivaltop40.com in about four or five days.
(2) Since last turning on the Samsung tablet (which I do about 8 times a day for performance reasons), I had not visited any site related to life after death, any site that might have had a link to the site www.survivaltop40.com. Turning off the tablet always closes any web browser that was open.
(3)  My web browser was set to use www.google.com as the home page, and that was still the same after the www.survivaltop40.com site mysteriously popped up.
(4) My web browser does not have any active setting by which previously visited sites are restored. Whenever I start up my Samsung tablet and click on the Firefox icon, I get only a page showing links to my most recently viewed sites, but www.survivaltop40.com was not on that list.
(5) I had made a bookmark to the site www.survivaltop40.com about 4 or 5 days ago, but it was something like #258 out of 262 bookmarks in my list of my bookmarks, and there is no way I could have accidentally activated such a bookmark.


There are no other cases I can recall using my Samsung tablet in which I ever saw a site that I had not intentionally chosen to use in days as the only tab on my web browser.   All in all, I have no explanation for how this "life after death" site could have appeared as the only tab on my browser.

Two other spooky things happened tonight.  A broom that had been resting against the wall in the kitchen came crashing to the ground minutes after anyone had been in the kitchen, and hours after anyone had used the broom.  Then after I went to Manhattan and returned, I saw that my sound machine had apparently switched channels on its own. I always keep the machine running on the "Waterfall" channel, but when I returned I found it was now on the "Rain forest" channel. I asked whether anyone else in the apartment had switched the channel,  but neither of the two others in my apartment said they had switched the channel.

Postscript: Something similar happened a few days later. I found that my browser had a tab that displayed a book about life after death, a book by Arthur Conan Doyle.  I had no memory of bringing up that site on that day, only a memory of finishing reading the book several days earlier.
Post-postscript: Something similar happened on December 31, 2018.  I found that my browser had a tab displaying a book about life after death, the book "The Survival of Man" by Oliver Lodge. But I had no memory of bringing up that page.  I had a browser bookmark referring to the page, but it was buried deep in my list of bookmarked pages (something like bookmark number 389 of 450), and I hadn't been looking through my bookmarks in the hours before I saw the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment