Friday, November 2, 2018

Like Some Invisible Hand at Work

Today there were further incidents in the long series of spooky events around my living quarters. The lesser incident was when my sound machine (which I leave on during the day to help drown out street noise) inexplicably turned off by itself.

A more interesting event occurred about 10:40 PM. I was sitting on the couch, alone in my living room watching a cable TV show;  and my two TV remotes were both well  to the left of my body. The black remote was facing the TV and a meter from me, and the gray remote was about a foot from me, pointing 90 degrees away from the TV. Suddenly the TV sound turned off. I used my gray remote to change channels, to make sure it wasn't something with the channel I was watching. The sound was off for all stations.

I reached over three feet to my left, and checked the volume, using the volume control on the black remote. The TV showed that the sound had been turned all the way down. Below is how it looked after I increased the volume a bit (the TV still making no noise), moving it from a level of 0 to about 1.


But the TV will never make intelligible sound (as it did a few minutes earlier, loud and clear) unless this volume setting is much higher, and I normally have it at a level of about 23, as shown below:


Somehow the TV volume suddenly turned down from a level of about 23 to a level of 0. This would have required 23 button presses on the volume control of one of my remotes, but both remotes were to the left of my body when the TV sound turned off.  (There is a "Mute" button on one remote, but that produces a "Muting" indicator on the TV screen that was not displayed on the TV, and does not change the volume level you see when you bring up the Volume control shown above.)

A few seconds after noticing the strange turning down of the TV volume, I suddenly noticed a dollar bill lying in the middle of my empty carpet (right in front of the TV) which I hadn't noticed before, even though I had been watching TV for more than two hours. No one else had been in the living room for those two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment