Saturday, December 9, 2023

Melody Mystery

This morning a very strange thing happened. I woke up and immediately there popped into my mind  (without any apparent cause) four verses of a song I heard long ago, but had not recalled or heard in a very long time:

Inch worm, inch worm

Measuring the marigolds

You and your arithmetic

You'll probably go far. 


What I find striking here is why I would have recalled such a thing just after waking up,  without any apparent reason. None of my dreams that night (which I logged) had anything to do with worms, marigolds,  flowers, measuring, inches or going far. I could not even remember the source of the song, which I had not heard or recalled in many years. I incorrectly thought it may have came from a Frank Sinatra movie. The song by Frank Loesser actually comes from the Danny Kaye movie "Hans Christian Anderson." The clip above plays the catchy tune. 

Danny Kaye was my late mother's favorite actor. The speculation that the very improbable recollection came from her is a pleasant one. But there may be an unpleasant aspect here. Maybe the reference to an "inch worm" is a warning of death being very near. The worm is a symbol of death. The phrase "inch worm" may suggest being an inch from death. 

But there's a hopeful aspect. The line "you'll probably go far" may symbolize some trip to some far away afterlife realm following death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment