Friday, February 16, 2024

Can You Know in a Dream Some Fact You Never Learned When Awake?

 Last night I had one of my endless dreams in which deceased people appear. It was the third dream I have had about the late actress Betty White. Other famous deceased people have appeared more often (such as Ronald Reagan, who has appeared in eleven different dreams).  My dream was very simple: Betty White had discovered that she was romantically desired by Allen Ludden, the host of the long-running TV game show "Password." In my dream Betty rejected Allen, saying that she was not interested. 

After I awoke I thought this was a strange dream to have, because I remembered the two had been married. The two were married for 17 years, until Allen's death from cancer in 1980. Looking up a biography of Allen Ludden on Wikipedia,  I read the following: "He proposed to Betty White, whom he had met on Password, at least twice before she accepted."  So my dream of Betty White rejecting Allen Ludden's romantic overture matched an event that twice happened in real life. But I never learned of so obscure a fact while awake (until this morning, after I had the dream). 

Postscript: On March 2, 2024 I had another dream making me ask the same question posed in this post's title. In my dream I saw an animal in a tree, and I guessed that it was a koala. But then someone said, "No, it's a marmoset." When I awoke and wrote down the dream, I could not recall what a marmoset was. Even after waking up in the morning, I still could not recall anything about the word "marmoset," although I had a suspicion that it was some kind of animal. I looked up the term, and found that a marmoset was a kind of monkey. In the dream the reference made sense, because marmosets are tree-dwellers.  It was just as if in the dream I knew that the marmoset is a tree-dwelling animal, but I did not know any such thing when awaking after having the dream.  I can never recall speaking the word "marmoset," nor can I ever hear reading about such a topic before having the dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment