Friday, January 30, 2015

The First Time I Noticed the Orb Centrifuge Effect

Photo date: October 22, 2014. Photographer: Mark Mahin.

On this day I continued to take photos of water drops, photos that showed orbs inside the water drops, orbs that seemed to have faces. On one of the photos I noticed what seemed to be something very unusual. There was at the center of the photo two overlapping orbs (or perhaps a single orb seen twice), both of which seemed to have a face. Above the center were two white streaks.  Looking very closely at the white streaks, I could see ever-so-faintly what looked like faces at the end of the streaks.

I formulated a hypothesis about what I was seeing. What seemed to be going on is that orbs were whirling around at high speeds on the outer perimeter of the water drop, like test tubes spinning around in a centrifuge. Since my camera has a shutter speed of 1/2000 of a second, the orbs would have to be moving very fast in order for this type of motion blur to be observed.

I decided to call this effect "the orb centrifuge effect." As time passed, I would document it in very many photographs, some of which showed the moving orbs much more clearly than this photograph.

Below is the photograph where I noticed the effect. At the top we seem to have an orb spinning around the edge of the water drop, in a clockwise motion. At the bottom we seem to have an orb spinning around the edge of the water drop in a counter-clockwise motion.

orb centrifuge effect

No comments:

Post a Comment