Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Confounding Coins

I have had so many unusual-seeming experiences involving coins,  I could write a book on the topic (follow the link to hear the Rodgers and Hart song with that title).  Last night I saw two coins in front of the couch I was lying.  I put the coins away and went to bed. In the morning I sat down at a table two meters from the couch, and noticed a penny in front of the couch. For several seconds I stared at the penny, wondering how that could have got there.  I looked at my tablet device for a few seconds, and then looked back at the penny in front of the couch. Now I noticed next to the penny (about 3 inches away) a larger coin: a quarter I had not noticed when I previously looked at the penny. How could I have failed to notice the quarter when staring at a penny three inches from it to for at least five seconds? This is one of very many times my observations have raised a suspicion that a coin can somehow appear from out of nowhere,  as an apport.

Postscript:  The link I posted was to a song Harry Connick sang in the 1989 movie "When Harry Met Sally." Oddly the evening after posting this, I heard someone on Fifth Avenue say something like, "Living in New York in the fall isn't like walking through the leaves of Central Park, with Harry Connick singing behind you" -- a reference to the same movie and singer.

On today (August 29) I noticed two quarters in front of the couch, just in front of where I had sat on it, when I was alone in the apartment, several hours after I had woke up.  They were very noticeable. Could the coins have fallen out of my pocket, unobserved? I tried a test by putting the coins in my pocket, lying on the couch, and moving my body around vigorously for two minutes, to try to get the coins to fall out of my pocket. Neither of them fell.

No comments:

Post a Comment