Saturday, August 31, 2019

Just a Coincidence?

I measure my heart rate in the morning. I use the site here which has a stopwatch gadget. Underneath the stopwatch gadget there is an ad widget:  a rectangular block that is designed to display ads. Now, an ad widget is supposed to present different ads each time you go to a web page.  And if you press "Refresh" to refresh the page, you will see the ads change with almost each refresh. But almost every time in recent weeks when I have gone to this page, I have seen the same ad: an ad showing a glowing orb above a hand. It's an ad for some company that has nothing to do with mysterious orbs.  Today I saw this same ad on two different web sites.

Postscript: I saw the ad with the glowing orb four times today, on three different sites -- which makes six times I have seen the ad online in two days.  The ad is for a product called VoltDB, a "fast relational database."  That is an extremely specialized product that fewer than 1 in  10,000 people would ever buy.  It is interesting that I have spent 0 dollars during my lifetime on the purchase of databases or relational databases.  I have never made a purchase inquiry online related to databases.  Now, I seem to recall that ad widgets are supposed to have a little smarts, in the sense of showing you ads for something that you might have some chance of buying. But showing me an ad for a relational database product is as futile as showing me an ad for baby diapers.  Also, the company that makes this product seems to be a rather new company that is not at all one of the top 50 vendors of database products. We would think that such a small company would have very little money to spend on ads. So why do I keep on seeing this company's ad with the glowing orb?

I tried an experiment of searching for 3 things I don't normally search for, and to see whether it affects what ads I get in ad widgets. After going to the Brooks Brothers site, I found ads for Brooks Brothers coming up in ad widgets of the web pages I visited. That effect can partially explain why today I have got so many cases of the glowing orb ad -- because I visited the site of the VoltDB product today. But it doesn't explain what I originally reported:  the same ad (with a glowing orb) appearing "almost every time in recent weeks" that I made daily visits to a page with an ad widget.  I made that report before I had ever clicked on the ad, and before I had ever gone to the web site for the VoltDB product (and I had not clicked in recent weeks on any web sites for any computer software products).

No comments:

Post a Comment