Thursday, May 11, 2023

Riess's = Reese's= A Reminder From the Other Side?

In my post from last year "Complex Subtle Reasoning and Precise Relevant Recollections in a Single Dream," I documented a case of an astonishing dream I had that managed to combine subtle and sophisticated philosophical reasoning along with very precise and relevant and detailed recall of facts pertinent to the reasoning I was delivering in the dream. Last night I had a similar dream. I dreamed I was arguing with a professor about the existence of ESP. 

Making a very relevant and pertinent recall, in my dream I recited the astonishing success of the 1930's ESP test conducted by Professor Bernard F. Riess, a professor of Hunter College in New York City. The test was a remote test in which a woman at another location was asked to guess the value of a Zener card with 5 possible values. The expected chance result per session was only 5 correct guesses. But in one of the two series (with a total of 1850 cards guessed) the woman guessed an average of 18.24 cards correctly per 25 cards, achieving a phenomenal 73% accuracy rate (instead of the expected accuracy rate of 20%). This was the result in "Series A" of two series of tests with the young woman. This may have been the most successful ESP test ever recorded under scientific conditions. For details of the test, see my post "Better Than a Smoking Gun: The Riess ESP Test." We would never expect success so great to occur by chance if every person in the world was tested for ESP.

In my dream I did not recall the exact success percentage, but I do recall saying in my dream that it was greater than 65%, and that only a 20% success rate was expected. I also recall stating the test was a remote test, with Riess and the woman in different buildings. I also recall the dream ending with me advising the professor I was talking to that he should read Joseph Rhine's main book on ESP. The abstract of the Riess paper is here.  The Riess experiment is discussed on page 167-168 of Rhine's book Extra-sensory Perception After Sixty Years ( see here or here), the same book I mentioned in my dream.  Another discussion of the experiment is here. 

This is the second dream I have had about Riess's ESP test. Before  writing down the details of the dream just after awaking last night, I recalled a remarkable connection involving the phrase "Riess's." The phrase "Riess's" sounds exactly the same as the phrase "Reese's." And that "Reese's" involves one of the most astonishing of the many very astonishing things I have witnessed. 

I had described the 2016 "Reese's" event I refer to in my long post "Spookiest Events: A Deluxe Narrative." 

"After returning to my apartment in the evening after being away for a while,  I was very surprised to see a piece of candy (a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup) right in front of the television set I had watched throughout most of the day, in a very noticeable position on the floor. My daughters were both away on this day, and the only other person who had been in the apartment was my wife (who never eats candy). I asked her about the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, and she denied any knowledge of it. I had not bought this brand of candy in many months, nor had I seen any Reese's Peanut Butter Cup around my living quarters for many months prior to this day.  Given the piece of candy's position, it was inconceivable that I could have failed to notice it during the preceding afternoon and morning, when for five or more hours I was directly facing the position the candy was found, about 4 feet away. Reese's Peanut Butter Cup was my late mother's favorite snack."  

I was never able to account for the appearance of this Reese's Peanut Butter Cup, which should never have been found where I found it. The connection with my late mother was very interesting. It is also very interesting that I had two dreams (on two different days) of the Riess's ESP test, with "Riess's" being the same sound as "Reese's." 

There's one other strange detail in this tale of synchronicity. About twenty days ago I found in my front yard the wrapper below:


It's a wrapper from a Reese's candy, but not one ever bought by anyone in the house where I live. I knew Reese's made its famous peanut butter cup, but I never knew it made a "White Ghost" candy. The candy is probably only bought during the time around Halloween. But what would such a wrapper be doing in my front yard, six months after Halloween?

We seem to have here some astonishing synchronicity. It's rather as if some mysterious reality is trying to remind me of the 2016 event when I found my late mother's favorite snack at a spot that it never should have been in. Can the same reality explain why I have had 100+ dreams about my late mother and 100+ dreams about my late father since November 2020, along with 300+ dreams that seemed to suggest life after death (as documented here)? I suspect that there will be a notable additional aspect of this story that will one day appear. Stay tuned. 

Postscript: A few hours after writing this post, a light in my bathroom mysteriously turned off and then turned back on a second or two later, as I was looking directly at the light. It's one of quite a few times I have seen this effect, as described here

No comments:

Post a Comment