Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Anomalous Alarm

Today I heard a very loud alarm from my bathroom. At first I couldn't find the source, but soon I realized it was from a water leak detector I had at the floor of my bathroom, under the sink. The alarm was very loud, and could not be silenced. There was no water at all on the floor of the bathroom that could explain this event. I had bought the alarm less than a year ago. Right next to the alarm was another water leak alarm; and that alarm did not go off. The Amazon page describing the alarm that went off says it merely beeps when the battery is low.

Pressing the "Test" button on the alarm failed to silence it. I tried to get the back off, so I could take out the batteries. The back has very tiny screws that require a special screwdriver. I had quite a few tiny screwdrivers, but none of them could turn the screws on the back. Unable to pull out the batteries, I ended up burying the alarm in a bucket of sand in my tool shed. 

Below is the front and back of the water detector.  

 I recommend against buying this brand by Geevon, as its back is very hard to take off. Other water detectors of this size have a design allowing you to replace the alarm with a mere turn of the wrist. One such model is another model by Geevon, showing three water drops on its front. 

This is just the latest of very many cases I have experienced of lights or devices turning on or off mysteriously. You can read about almost all of them using the link here and pressing Older Posts when you come to the bottom of the page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment