Friday, November 19, 2021

A Long Symbolic Dream

 My dreams seem to be growing more vivid, and last night I had a symbolic dream of rather astonishing length and detail. I will describe it using notes I made just after waking up in daylight. 

The dream began with me sitting at a cubicle in some big company office, lamenting that I wasn't making much progress in my new contract programming job. I thought: how do they expect me to get rolling when my team is not having meetings and not sending me emails? 

I then saw my boss, a woman who had long ago been my boss in real life when I was employed as a computer programmer. I talked about my productivity long ago, and she said that she didn't want to discuss the old days.  Confessing my current lack of productivity, I said that what I wanted more than anything was to be extremely productive like I was back in 1999 and the year 2000. This dream recollection was accurate, as I was a very productive programmer in those years. 

My boss then suggested a way I could be more productive. There was some big "data import" programming job to be done. But to do it, I needed to get a "file format" book from a room. So I went to that room and got the book, which was yellow. 

I then saw that there was an office party, involving many bottles on a table. I had left a bottle of my own on that table, and now there were so many bottles on the table, I could not find my own.  Resigning myself to the loss of my bottle, I walked away. 

Now I wanted to exit the building, but when heading for the elevator, I found my path was blocked by two people lying in front of the elevator playing brass instruments. So I used the stairs. 

Walking away outside, I held the yellow book in my arms, and saw it was raining. After walking a while, I noticed I no longer was holding the yellow book. I had accidentally dropped it. So I ran back the path I had gone, to try and find it. Luckily I found it lying there on the wet street. 

I seem to recognize quite a few different elements in this dream as being symbolic. But here I must disappoint the reader by declining to explain what the symbolic elements were. If I were to do that, I would have to disclose private inner thoughts I prefer to keep to myself. 

The dream did not follow the usual themes of my dreams this year, which have been (with astonishing abundance and regularity) themes of danger, death, and life after death (as you can see by reading this long post). 

No comments:

Post a Comment