Monday, March 6, 2023

Sign From the Sky?

 Below is a diagram of a strange sight I witnessed yesterday. I saw a flock of about 30 birds flying in a long 100-meter loop. The flock traversed the loop about five different times. About five times I saw the flock disappear from sight, as it went behind a building blocking my view of it. About five times the flock reappeared in my sight.  Then finally after about five traversals of this long 100-meter loop, the flock disappeared from sight. 

starling murmuration

I know that people see big flocks of starlings moving together, in an event called a starling murmuration. But I don't know whether this many traversals of the same movement path is rare. 

When I see something this strange, I wonder whether it is some kind of omen. Could the flock size symbolize a month? See here for another example of hard-to-explain bird repetitive behavior. 

Postscript: Two days later something else odd happened. Returning from a walk, I noticed a robin in front of the house where I live. Strangely it was motionless for about 5 minutes, before flying away. Another "avian five."  

No comments:

Post a Comment