Monday, August 19, 2024

A Thought of Someone Just Before Hearing of His Death

 This morning I very strangely was thinking of Phil Donahue while lying in bed, someone I have not thought about for many years. I remember having these thoughts (I am unsure about the order in which they occurred):

(1) I remembered the late Danny Thomas, remembering him on a talk show maybe five decades ago, saying, "If you're going to have a nose, don't fool around."

(2) I remembered his daughter Marlo, whose acting I enjoyed for years on the TV show That Girl. I remembered the work she has done tor the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, which Danny founded in 1962. 

(3) I remembered Marlo had married Phil Donahue, and I remembered Phil's  courage in questioning the Iraq War, defying the misguided war fever around early 2003.  I couldn't remember whether they were still married, or even whether Phil was still alive. 

Soon after I woke up this morning I read on the news that Phil Donahue had died last night, being married for the past 44 years to Marlo Thomas. He was a great talk show host. I did not know he was ill. 

If you're looking for a good registered charity to donate money to, consider the St. Jude Children's Research Hospital or the Save the Children charity I have been contributing to monthly since about 2002. 

No comments:

Post a Comment