Monday, September 19, 2022

A Flower Symbolizing Immortality

Below we see an unplanted Amaranth flower improbably arising at the edge of my all-concrete backyard.  A web page says, "This flower has been associated with immortality and eternal life because it does not die when cut."

Amaranth

A closeup shows the little yellow-colored specks characteristically seen in the long purple shafts of the Amaranth stalks:

Amaranth

And speaking of improbable symbols of good fortune, on September 30 I noticed in my backyard a grasshopper. I can never recall seeing before a grasshopper in New York City, where I have lived for many years. The grasshopper is a worldwide symbol of good fortune. 

grasshopper in New York City
Later, on October 7, I also saw a grasshopper in my back yard:

grasshopper in New York City

My all-concrete backyard in New York City is pretty much the least likely place you could find such an insect, which prefers grasslands.  The 'chevron markings" on the grasshopper identify it as the "Differential Grasshopper," "most prevalent in the central US," according to the page here

No comments:

Post a Comment