Wednesday, September 6, 2023

"They Went On to Infinitely Grander Things"

Last night I dreamed I was at an office meeting, and I mentioned that I had worked for a company that suffered  the most horrible loss of its staff in the World Trade Center attack of September 11, 2001. Using a very striking phrase in the dream, I said, "They went on to infinitely grander things." The phrase may have referred to the dead of this company reaching some exalted state in the afterlife.  The dream was one of 400+ dreams I have had that seemed to refer to life after death. 

In the same dream I had a recurrence of a story line that I have had quite a few times in dreams: the idea that I had long been working at a job (for at least months) without ever being paid.  Usually there's a thought of "I've got to get this straightened out," but in this dream I talked to some company official who said the situation would be corrected   I have a very optimistic speculative interpretation of this recurring dream: the idea that the job represents earthly life, and that the dream symbolizes some reality that each good person is accruing a great reward for each year of earthly life that he lives, and that the reward will be paid in an afterlife, with the reward perhaps proportional to the length and difficulty of your earthly life.

At the end of the dream I took an elevator from the top of an office tower, to leave work. In the tower's lobby I found myself holding a shovel, and kind of said, "Silly me, I must return this to my high office," getting back in the elevator to go back up. The descent down may symbolize some health problem leading to death, and the shovel (used to dig graves) may represent death. The elevator ascent back up to the tower top may represent the ascent of the soul to some heavenly realm after death.  

No comments:

Post a Comment