Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Recreating the Emoto Rice Experiment, Using Oatmeal Instead

You can find on the Internet many posts and Youtube videos on the experiments on rice originally done by Masuru Emoto.  The experiments attempt to show whether there will be a difference between two identical samples of rice, one of which is exposed to negative thoughts, and the other exposed to positive thoughts.

I decided to try the experiment myself, using oatmeal instead of rice.

On July 16, 2015 I prepared some oatmeal in a bowl that had been well-washed. I took two small jars, and steam-sterilized them. (The first time I tried this it worked okay to steam sterilize the small jar lids, but upon just trying a few minutes ago to redo the experiment, I ruined the jar lids while trying to steam-sterilize them. So if you want to try this, I recommend not sterilizing the jar lids if they are small.)

After waiting a few minutes for the sterilized jars to cool, I then spooned the freshly made oatmeal into the jars, alternating which jar got a spoonful of oatmeal. When I was done, I tightly sealed the jars. They then looked like this. The jars had identical amounts of oatmeal. One jar was marked "Hate," the other "Love."

For five days I would (several times a day) hold the small jars in my hand. To the one marked "Hate" I would say, "I hate you, I hate you, I hate you -- die, die, die," while trying to feel strong feelings of hate. To the one marked "Love" I would say, "I love you, I love you, I love you -- thank you, thank you."

After 5 days there was a very dramatic difference between the two. The oatmeal in the jar marked "Hate" had almost entirely liquefied.  It no longer looked like oatmeal, but instead like some not-very-thick milk shake. No one would ever eat the contents if he was expecting oatmeal (and if he did, he would need a straw rather than a spoon). But the contents in the jar marked "Love" showed no visible changes.

The photo below shows the jars after 5 days. You can see the difference between the liquid state in the "Hate" jar on the left and the oatmeal in the "Love" jar on the right, which was still "spoonable" oatmeal.

I will continue to do experiments on this topic. The experimental result thus far is suggestive of an anomalous unexplained ability of the human mind to affect matter.

You can find many similar results on the Internet by doing a Google search for "Emoto rice experiment." By all means, check out the skeptical debunking posts on this topic, but also take note of how lacking they are in substance.  A typical "debunking" will consist of procedural complaints lacking in substance or relevance, such as a post that vacuously complains about the experimenter failing to write down exactly which words were spoken to the jars each time they were spoken (something hardly necessary if the same words are being spoken each time).

No comments:

Post a Comment