Thursday, March 5, 2015

Strange Shapes on a Balcony

 Photo date: January, 2015. Photographer: Mark Mahin.

The 36-minute video below -- entitled “Strange Misty Shapes on a Balcony” -- was compiled from more than 500 color photos I took. The photos were taken on the East Balcony of Grand Central Station in New York, facing the West Balcony. Each of the photos was cropped to show a small part of the middle of the station's West Balcony.

While examining these photos, I noticed a strange recurrence of seemingly anomalous sights at this particular location of the West Balcony, a spot about 20 feet wide. Hundreds of my photographs of this one small spot seem to show translucent or dark shadow-like or misty-looking figures.  Within the video I called such sights apparitions.  But now I'm a little more skeptical, and I think that perhaps all of them can be explained as artifacts of the unusual lighting situation in Grand Central (as well as the fact that I was photographing something in the far distance). 

You can watch the video in the window below. If you want to watch the video, I strongly suggest that you click on the "Full Screen" button on the bottom right corner of the video, to watch the video in full screen mode. This is because the video has many rather faint details that are easy to see in full-screen mode, but hard to see in a little window like the one below.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete